Easter

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mysterious Benedict Society

So... I know I skipped last week, but I'll tell you what it would have said.  Try... going to Disneyland!  We were there last Monday and I basically had to go straight to work on Tuesday when we got back to Utah.  So, sorry for the lack of post.

This week I have an exciting trial for you though.  It's a series of books that I have absolutely fallen in love with.  My sister Beth told me about them and per her recommendation I read the first book.  After that I had to have them all so I bought the three book set from TJ Maxx for $7.99 and now I am on pins and needles waiting for book four.  The series is called The Mysterious Benedict Society. (warning: if you hate annoying music, turn your speakers off before pressing that link.)

I recommend this series because unlike other books and shows that have main characters that are only strong or only handsome, this series has a cast of characters that have brains.  It's all about a group of four friends who pass a series of tests that prove they have superior intellect.  After taking these tests they help Mr. Nicolas Benedict in his efforts to protect the world from "the great crisis." The books are charming and addicting, but my favorite part about them is not necessarily the action, but the relationships between these four kids.  Each one has a strength.  Sticky remembers everything.  Kate has her bucket of tools always handy and really knows how to use them.  Reynie is amazing at sorting out riddles and puzzles.  Constance is stubborn and a very matter of fact kind of girl.  Without just one of these four kids, the Mysterious Benedict Society would not have success.  Although each of them has a strength, they all need one another to get along.

Reynie, Kate, Sticky, and little Constance
I am not sure I love these books because I try to relate to each character, or because they remind me of elementary school and my two best friends, Kelli and Marcus.  All I know is that I couldn't put them down and I don't think you will be able to either.

p.s.  It's fun to try to figure out the riddles before Reynie's character explains them.  If you are not so much into the reading thing, I would recommend these books to any 4th though 7th grader out there.  I'm sure they could relate to at least one of the characters.

2 comments:

  1. oooh sounds like my kind of book! I will be sure to look them up at the library... but if not, could I borrow them??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! Don't even worry about the library.

    ReplyDelete